– Hatched on Monday, 3/28/2011
– Arrived at Post Office Wed, 3/30 at 8:00 AM
– Shipped from Murry McMurry
Initial Venture: Duck / Goose Project
Day 14 (2 weeks old)
– Moved from a 3'x3' box in basement of the
house to the barn with larger house and pen
– Heat requirements are reduced in weeks 3/4,
after 4 weeks they can do well in most weather
Purchased 10 birds
– 8 - Jumbo Pekin Ducks - White
– 2 - Emden Geese (male & femle) - White
– Moved to new Pen with heavy welded wire surround and top — predator proof
– Well feathered with little yellow fuzz remaining
– Eating less food with availability of grass and ground
– Female goose getting large with some gray feathers, should be all white when fully mature.
Egg Comparison — Goose, Duck, Chicken
– Goose will begin laying in February and produce
40-50 eggs per year
– Ducks begin laying at 5 months
– Ducks laying eggs daily
– Female goose began laying February (~40 per year)
|New Geese Addition - hatched on 6/27/2012
Two male alpacas
– Arrived at the farm on 6/22/2013
– Both are 1 year old
– The black one is "Max", the fawn
one (light color) is "Frankie"
Alpacas — sold in July 2018
We decided to start a new pet project with two male Alpaca from "Beckon Mornings Farm - Thompson, CT.
This breeder has ~250 Alpacas and operates a very well run business.
Our plan is to experience care and handling and if all goes well, we may get females and raise some of our
Duck/Goose Venture, Sold in 2016
A Goats enjoy their play scape.
Currently, our Hobby Farm has Goats and Chickens.
Our Alpaca venture began in 2013 and we enjoyed them as pets and for their fiber
that was sheared annually in May. However, after 5 years, we sold them a young
hobby farm couple that very much wanted to add Alpaca to their other animals.
We wanted to expand our goat herd a bit and simplify care and operation.
|We began our Hobby in 2012 with Geese and Ducks, added two alpacas in 2013, then
added goats and chickens. While a fun and worthwhile experience, we no longer have
Geese and Alpaca. Sold geese / ducks in 2016 and sold the Alpaca in 2018.
We have three goats and all are Wethers (neutered males). Two are Nigerian Dwarf
and one is a Saanen.
We have t currently have 11 chickens - RI Reds, Sexlinks, White Leg Hornes.